Potato Wedge Southern Style Salad - By Smitty
The Potato Wedge Southern Style Salad comes from one of the Pitmasters contributor, Smitty. This literal potato salad is a simple side dish to feed half a dozen people with a few potatoes, a head of lettuce and salad toppings. From the grill to the oven - it is a melted delight.
"The idea of the Potato Salad is simply to melt the cheese over the wedge for a delicious side dish for any meal... Though I rushed the images on my phone while cooking a meal for friends and family. It's simple: cook the potato wedges until brown, then place a salad on top and bake at 300 degrees to melt the cheese (10 minutes). Add extra cheese and ranch after and serve. Everyone loves this!" - Smitty.
Ingredients Potato Wedge Southern Style Salad to feed 6 people
- 3 Red Potatoes (medium size): note this is a preference - Idaho potatoes work too.
- Head of Lettuce
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Bacon (optional)
Instructions for cooking
Grilling time, 20-30 minutes to the oven for 10 minutes.
Preparation of the food
- Cut potatoes into a quarter of an inch slice
- Ziplock bag with olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper to preference.
- Dice lettuce into small slices (think of a taco salad).
- Place in a bowl for later
- Salad topping for later
- Croutons (crush a handful in a ziplock bag)
- Bacon bits (option: grill your own bacon)
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese off to the side
"Note: You can always use the oven instead, it is just more fun and quicker to use a grill." - Smitty
- Grill until the potatoes are a light brown on both sides (20-30 minutes on a light heat). NOTE: Preheat oven to 300 degrees while doing this.
- Place potatoes evenly across a cooking pan with olive oil
- Place Lettuce on potatoes, then your cheese, bacon bits, and crushed croutons.
- Place in oven at 300 degrees for 10 minutes (note, you can always sit this aside if cooking a lot more dishes).
- Take out of oven
- Place extra cheese and ranch dressing over salad - and you are ready to serve.
Send us your own recipe!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.